Beautiful People is a link up by Cait and Sky. They are both wonderful people and I adore their questions.
What were your writing achievements last year?
Writing achievements? What’s that? But seriously… until now, I didn’t write. I WILL CHANGE THIS IMMEDIATELY! I guess I started blogging which requires a LOT of time and writing, but I am going to focus more on creative writing and writing stories/ books (for this post).
Tell us about your top priority writing project for this year?
WRITE MORE. I don’t really care what, just as long as it’s something. I actually just started a book yesterday which I am super excited about, but it’s too early in the game to discuss yet (I will probably end up changing everything and it will be unrecognizable from anything I could ever describe here. ALSO, I LOVE BEING MYSTERIOUS, SO BE CURIOUS!)
List 5 areas you’d like to work the hardest to improve this year.
- Write SOMETHING at least once a week (I’m starting small. This should say “every day”, but I’m not in the business of breaking goals as soon as I make them sooo…)
- Participate in NaNoWriMo. Why not? I love a good challenge that causes no sleep.
- Finish a first draft of *one* book. (*of course this should be a lot more, but I do love reading and have to balance my already mess-of-a-life.)
- Writing for the sake of writing without worrying about it too much. If I have an idea, I want to sit down and just write and have fun. This is officially rough draft year, so I don’t need to worry about all of the millions of plot holes and character flaws just yet.
- Have fun. Enjoy it. If you (talking to myself, of course) are not enjoying the wonderful writing experience than stop immediately and evaluate your poor decisions.
- (sorry. I just thought of this one.) VOCABULARY! Expand expandexpandexpand.
Are you participating in any writing challenges?
Hopefully NaNoWriMo? (See #2 above.)
What’s your critique partner/beta reader situation like and do you have plans to expand this year?
Like I said, until this year I didn’t really write. I don’t have one right now, and don’t have enough content yet, but I would love to make some more writing friends. If you are interested (even though I am not ready yet), let me know.
Do you have plans to read any writer-related books this year? Or are there specific books you want to read for research.
I hope to learn a lot in this writing process, so I am sure I will do a lot of research (especially since my current WIP takes place in multiple places or “whens”). I don’t have anything specific though… Any suggestions?
Pick one character you want to get to know better, and how are you going to achieve this?
My main character Lia, but really all of my characters. I just started profiling them, and I plan to explore each and every character and I dream of living up to (half) of the complexities of Sarah J. Maas’ characters.
Do you plan to edit or query, and what’s your plan of attack?
I plan to just write until my fingers fall off and I can no longer write. (At this point I will begin speaking into my phone’s talk-to-text so I may continue).
Toni Morrison once said, “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” What are the books that you want to see more of, and what “holes” do you think need filling in the literary world?
- Emily @ Loony Literate said we need more books that aren’t set in US/UK/Australia and to this I nod my head vigorously YESS!
- Characters that are completely unexpected (no generic characters unless it is completely and utterly planned.)
- Amazing supporting characters that you end up loving more than the actual main character (I may or may not be talking about you, Kenji Kishimoto).
- Diversity… back to #2. (Not just racial, gender, or anything like that, but just no predictability. I want to surprise everyone with the complex genius of my writing.)
- SO many other things I am too tired to think of right now…
What do you hope to have achieved by the end of 2016?
I feel very repetitive. I want to have 1 rough draft complete.
What are your writing goals for 2016? Are you a part of the Beautiful People link up? Feel free to leave the link to yours from this month in comments.
On an unrelated note, I am taking the SAT tomorrow morning and I think I am going to die. Roughly 5 hours of a standardized test. Yikes.